Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 20 min COOK: 1 hr 15 min
TOTAL: 1 hr 35 min SERVES: 6
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water, cold
Squash and Zucchini Filling:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 of a small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups yellow summer squash,
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 pound cooked ground
pork sausage, optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt for the crust. Cube the butter, add to the mixing bowl, and cut with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the basil and stir to combine.
2. Whisk the egg and water in a small bowl and add to the flour mixture. Knead until the mixture forms into a clumpy dough.
3. Starting in the center and working outwards, press the dough on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick the dough all over with a fork and place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Melt the butter in a sauté pan on medium. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft. Add the yellow squash, zucchini, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes or until the squash and zucchini are tender. Remove from heat. If using, add the cooked sausage.
6. Whisk the eggs and milk in a mixing bowl. Add the mozzarella cheese. Add the milk mixture to the squash mixture and stir to combine.
7. Pour the filling into the crust and top with the parmesan cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until the center is set and the parmesan cheese is lightly browned.