Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 20 min COOK: 1 hr 10 min
TOTAL: 1 hr 30 min SERVES: 8
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 cup white rice
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
5 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the onion, garlic and rice and continue cooking over medium heat until the onions are soft and the rice is slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the flour to the pot and whisk it in with the onion and rice. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck on bits.
3. Add the milk, stirring constantly while doing so. Scrape the bottom of the pot again to release any flavor chunks that may have been missed.
4. Add the sweet potato chunks to the pot along with the chicken stock and bay leaves. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour or until the rice is cooked. Check the soup occasionally to stir and also to add a little water if needed as the rice absorbs the liquid.
5. Remove the bay leaves, add cream, salt and black pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.