Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 10 min COOK: 6 hr
TOTAL: 6 hr 10 min SERVES: 4
4 large apples
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup sucanat
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
2 cups natural apple juice, not from concentrate
1. Core the apples by using a sharp knife to cut a large circle around the stem. Cut deep enough to remove all of the seeds but not so deep as to cut through the bottom of the apple. Ensure you have created an opening that will hold enough filling. Set the apples aside.
2. Place the oats, almonds, cranberries, sucanat, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Add the butter and cut it in with the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter. Continue cutting in the butter until it is reduced to small chunks that are evenly distributed.
3. Pack the filling into the opening of each apple.
4. Place the apples in a slow cooker and add the apple juice to the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or overnight. The apples will be very tender and slightly slumped over.
5. Serve with pure maple syrup, if desired.