Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 30 min COOK: 30 min
TOTAL: 1 hr MAKES: 8
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
5 tablespoons water, cold
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 large egg
2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Place the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl; stir. Cube the butter and add to the mixing bowl. Cut with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Whisk the water, vinegar and egg in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and toss. Continue kneading the mixture with your hands and form into a ball.
3. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl; stir and set aside.
5. Divide the dough in half. Roll out the first half into a long rectangle and stamp out the dough with a large heart cookie cutter. Gather up any remaining dough, re-roll and stamp out with the cookie cutter. Repeat the process with the second dough half.
6. Place a small spoonful of the filling in the center of half of the heart dough pieces. Place the other half of the dough hearts on top of the bottom halves and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
7. Cut slits in the top of each hand pie. If desired, place heart shaped pieces of strawberries on top.
8. Whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over each hand pie. If desired, sprinkle each with sugar.
9. Bake the hand pies for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.