Wholesome Southwestern Stuffed Chicken
Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 30 min COOK: 30 min
TOTAL: 1 hr SERVES: 4
4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 jalapeno, veined, seeded and diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup canned black beans
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup cheddar, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
2/3 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg whisked with 1/4 cup water for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Position the chicken breasts between two pieces of parchment paper. Pound each chicken breast to 1/8-inch thickness with a meat tenderizer. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, jalapeno, corn, black beans, sour cream, onion, cheddar, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and cilantro; stir.
4. Make the breading by combining the cornmeal, chili powder and cayenne pepper on a large plate.
5. Whisk the egg and water in a large mixing bowl.
6. Place a large spoonful of the stuffing to one side of a flattened chicken breast. Be sure to leave about a 1/2-inch gap from the edge.
7. Pull and fold two sides of the chicken breast over the stuffing and roll up the chicken, starting from the end with the filling.
8. Dip and roll the stuffed chicken breast in the egg wash, fully coating each side.
9. Transfer the stuffed chicken breast to the cornmeal mixture and turn on each side to fully coat the chicken.
10. Transfer the chicken breast to the greased baking sheet.
11. Repeat for the remaining chicken breasts.
12. Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro.