Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 6 hr 20 min COOK: 40 min
TOTAL: 7 hr SERVES: 6
1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm water
1 teaspon salt
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1. Combine the yeast, flour and water for the sponge in a large mixing bowl. Stir swiftly for one minute until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 4 hours.
2. After resting, the sponge will have risen and should be bubbly. Transfer the sponge to the bowl of a stand mixer and add the additional 1 cup water, salt and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour. Mix on medium using the paddle attachment for 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add 1 more cup of flour, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. When the dough comes together, replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook.
3. Increase mixer speed to medium and slowly add the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour. You may not require all of the flour; watch the dough carefully and allow the flour to fully mix into the dough after each addition. The dough should clear the sides of the mixer bowl while sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
4. Continue kneading with the dough hook for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead a few times by hand. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
6. After the dough is risen, transfer to a lightly floured surface and reshape into a ball. Transfer the dough ball onto a baking stone or an inverted baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees during the final 10 minutes of dough rising time.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut two diagonal lines in the top of the loaf to create an ‘x’, each cut should be about 1/8-inch deep. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped.
9. Remove the bread from the oven and cool completely before slicing.