Wholesome Italian Tuxedo Trifle
Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 25 min COOK: 50 min
TOTAL: 1 hr 15 min SERVES: 6-8
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon almond extract
2 tablespoons Italian amaretto liqueur (such as Disaronno)
1/2 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM
2 ounces white chocolate
2 tablespoons milk
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup whipped topping, thawed
1 pound fresh strawberries
1. For the brownies: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13-inch cake pan or line with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter and cocoa; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs on medium speed until fluffy, about five minutes. Slowly beat in the cocoa and butter mixture. Add flour, salt, almond extract and amaretto liqueur; beat just until combined.
4. Spread half of the brownie mixture in the pan. Sprinkle with the chopped chocolate. Carefully spread the remaining brownie batter over the chocolate all the way to the edges.
5. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into bite-size pieces.
6. For the white chocolate cream: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt white chocolate and milk. Stir until melted; set aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Beat in powdered sugar and almond extract. Slowly stir in melted white chocolate. Gently fold in whipped cream.
8. Slice most of the strawberries into bite-size pieces. Save some whole strawberries for garnish on top.
9. In a large trifle bowl, layer brownies, cream and strawberries. Repeat layers until all the ingredients are gone. Refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Can be made one day ahead.