Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 40 min COOK: 30 min
TOTAL: 1 hr 10 min MAKES: 24
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup boiling water
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cream
12 ounces white baking chocolate
12 ounces dark baking chocolate
Colored sugar crystals
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low to combine. Add the butter, eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until combined. Add the milk and continue mixing until combined. Slowly add the water, increase mixer speed to medium, and mix until the batter is smooth.
3. Pour the batter in a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Cool the cake completely. Crumble the cooled cake in a large mixing bowl.
5. Whip the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and cream using an electric mixer. Add to the mixing bowl with the cake and knead with your hands until well blended and lumpy. Refrigerate until firm.
6. Press the cake mixture into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle on the countertop. Stamp out heart shapes using a small cookie cutter. Insert lollipop sticks into each heart, arrange the cake pops on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze.
7. Melt the chocolates in separate bowls. Dip each frozen cake pop in the desired flavor of chocolate and sprinkle each with colored sugar. Place the pops on the baking sheet to harden. Serve immediately or freeze.