Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 15 min COOK: 1 hr 30 min
TOTAL: 1 hr 45 min SERVES: 10
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef stew meat
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
2, 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
15 oz can dark kidney beans, drained
15 oz can red kidney beans, drained
15 oz can pinto beans, drained
16 oz beef broth
6 oz can tomato paste
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
1 tablespoon dried basil
Salt and black pepper
1. Brown the ground beef and set aside.
2. Salt and pepper the stew meat generously. Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot on medium-high heat. Add the stew meat and sear. Remove the stew meat and set aside. Reserve the oil in the pot.
3. Add the garlic and onion to the stock pot and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the green pepper, celery and jalapenos to the stock pot and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
5. Add the tomatoes, beans, beef broth, tomato paste and both meats to the stock pot; stir.
6. Season the chili with the chili powder, cumin, cayenne and basil; stir.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for one hour. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve the chili with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheese, green onions and sour cream.