Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 25 min COOK: 1 hr
TOTAL: 1 hr 25 min SERVES: 8
2 fennel bulbs with leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 cups parmesan cheese
3/4 cup asiago cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Remove the fennel bulbs from the stalks and leaves, reserve the leaves. Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise and remove the cores. Slice the fennel thinly.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan on medium. Add the fennel slices and saute until the fennel is tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the fennel from the saute pan, reserve the oil and leave the heat on medium.
3. Add the garlic to the saute pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add the cream and reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 cup of the parmesan and 1/2 cup of the asiago. Simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Begin layering the fennel and potato slices in a 9-inch square baking dish, starting first with a layer of potatoes, next, a layer of fennel and, last, a thin layer of sauce. Repeat until no potatoes and fennel remain and end the layering with the sauce on top.
6. Sprinkle the remaining parmesen and asiago on top. Chop a handful of fennel leaves and sprinkle on top of the cheese.
7. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove the cover during the final 15 minutes of baking time to brown the cheese.