Wholesome Classic Strawberry Shortcake
Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 20 min COOK: 20 min
TOTAL: 40 min SERVES: 8
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
2/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pint sliced strawberries + 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; pulse to mix. Cube the butter and add to the bowl. Process on low until the butter is reduced to pea-sized lumps.
3. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the milk and stir until a wet dough forms.
4. Divide the dough into 3-inch rounds using a spoon or your hands and arrange on a baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Whisk the whipping cream using an electric mixer until foamy. Slowly add the sugar and vanilla extract and continue whisking until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
6. Combine the strawberries and sugar in a large mixing bowl and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
7. To assemble: Halve each biscuit and arrange the halves on plates. Top each biscuit with a spoonful of strawberries and top the strawberries with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.