Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 30 min COOK: 1 hr
TOTAL: 1 hr 30 min SERVES: 8
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
6 tablespoons water, cold
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 large egg
5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar for the crust. Cube the butter, add to the flour mixture, and cut with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Whisk the water, vinegar and egg in a small bowl and add to the flour mixture. Knead the dough into a large round. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
3. Combine all ingredients for the filling, stir and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Divide the dough in half. Roll out the first half on a lightly floured surface to cover the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Transfer the rolled out round to the pie pan and dump the filling on top.
6. Roll out the second dough half into a circle large enough to cover the top of the pie pan. Place the second rolled out half on top of the pie.
7. Fold under the edges of the dough and crimp using your fingers to create a seal. Using a knife, make four cuts in the pie’s center.
8. Whisk one egg with one tablespoon water to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the top of the pie and, if desired, sprinkle the dough with sugar.
9. Bake for 1 hour or until the juices begin to bubble out. Cover the pie with foil during the final 20 minutes of baking time to prevent over-browning, if needed.
10. Cool completely before serving.