Wholesome Apple Cranberry Pie
Recipe Print & Download
PREP: 30 min COOK: 1 hr
TOTAL: 1 hr 30 min SERVES: 8
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
5 tablespoons water, cold
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 large apples, cored, peeled and sliced into small chunks
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar for the crust. Mix until combined. Cube the butter and add to the flour mixture.
2. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter in with the flour mixture until pea-sized lumps remain.
3. Add the water for the crust, one tablespoon at a time, tossing the flour mixture with a fork while doing so. Knead the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Combine the brown sugar, oats and flour for the cobbler in a medium mixing bowl; stir.
5. Add the melted butter and stir until all dry ingredients are wet. Set aside.
6. Combine the apple chunks, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir and set aside.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
8. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a round that will cover the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan with a large overhang.
9. Position the dough in the pie pan, spread the cream cheese evenly in the bottom and sprinkle 1/2 of the cobbler mixture on top.
10. Dump the fruit filling on top and crumble the remaining cobbler on top of the fruit. Fold the excess dough over the filling. Whisk the egg and water and brush the egg wash over the dough.
11. Bake for 45 minutes or until the apples are tender.
12. Cool completely prior to serving.